Friday, September 23, 2011

Who are we leaving behind?

A friend recently loaned me his copy of the August Christian Science Monitor because the cover story was about education.  The article was quite insightful and I'm ashamed to say on a topic I'd not thought about:  gifted education. 

In this high-stakes accountability environment, our gifted students are often forgotten.  I know in most districts where I have worked, our focus has been on the most at-risk (or ask my current employer says:  at promise) students.  But, what about our gifted learners?  Are they being pushed to their fullest potential?  Are we challenging our gifted learners?  Shouldn't we consider all students, not just the sub-group/reporting category that may prevent a school from making AYP?

I'd encourage you to read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment